Name one food you can't live without !?
Plantain, Plantin, Plantanos….whatever you call them; they are a great thing and one food that I can’t live without.
For a long time I thought plantains were a starchy vegetables. However,I recently learned that they are a fruit; sometimes called a cooking banana. Plantain is a staple among many Western African diets, and South American cuisines. If you are interested in cooking with more sweet plantains, try out this easy to make recipe!
Image taken in Kpone, Ghana, during my first trip to Ghana!
Recipe: Sweet Plantain and Lentil Shrimp Stew
Sweet Plantain and Lentil Shrimp Stew
- 1 ripe plantain
- 1/2 cup lentils, cooked
- 1 cup shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 cup green beans, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup cooking oil vegetable oil or olive oil or canola oil
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
Shrimp and Lentil Stew
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Place on medium heat.
- Add the diced tomatoes, cooked lentils, salt, pepper, garlic, ginger and paprika. Mix well, and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Next, add your shrimp and let cook for 5 minutes. Set aside and keep the mixture warm on low heat.
- Peel and slice the plantain into 7-8 pieces.
- In a seperate pan, heat the remaining oil on medium to high heat. Add the plantain slices and fry until golden brown. Flip the plantain and repeat on the other side.
- In a separate bowl, add boiling water to the green beans. Let the green beans sit in boiling water for 5 minutes.